Your privacy and the integrity of any information you provide are important to us. SHFI has developed the following policy pursuant to the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act, 2000 c.5. (the “Privacy Act”).
What Type Of Information Is Collected
In the course of operating the SHFI Site, SHFI may collect both Non-Personal Information and Personal Information about its users.
“Non-Personal Information” is information of an anonymous nature, including but not limited to your Internet Protocol Address (“IP Address”), the type and version of browser or operating system you may be using, and the website you may have come from and visit next. Aggregate information compiled by SHFI, such as demographic statistics of our users (e.g. average age or geographical allocation of our users), number of visitors, average time spent on an SHFI Site and ads clicked through, is also considered Non-Personal Information.
Non-Personal Information is collected or derived by us in the course of operating the SHFI Site. For example, our web servers may automatically collect Non-Personal Information which is provided through your browser or stored on a Cookie or through a Web Beacon when you choose to visit an SHFI Site. Non-Personal Information is used by SHFI as described below.
Business contact information such as the name, title, business address, email address or telephone number of a business or profeSHFIonal person or an employee of an organization is not considered Personal Information.
During normal website usage, it is poSHFIble to use the SHFI Site without communicating any personal information. However, to make use of certain features on our sites, such as contests, quizzes, promotions, personalized services, subscriptions or newsletters, users may be asked to register with the SHFI Site. As part of this voluntary registration, SHFI may request contact information and other data required for operating these services.
“Personal Information” is personally identifiable information, such as your name, address, email address, birth date and gender. SHFI can only collect Personal Information from you if you voluntarily provide it. By sending us a comment or suggestion, by entering any available chatroom or bulletin board, or by entering a contest that is posted on an SHFI Site, you will be consenting to the collection, use and distribution of your Personal Information by SHFI for the purposes set out below. You are under no obligation to provide SHFI with Personal Information and can access and enjoy many parts of the SHFI Site without providing any Personal Information. Among other things, the following is a representative list of reasons SHFI may ask for your Personal Information:
- To run contests, select entrants, and choose prize winners;
- To respond to your questions or the comments you e-mail to us or when you contact any of our customer service representatives;
- To provide you with newsletters or other information about our programming, special offers or services;
- To distribute to sponsors and advertisers who run the contests and/or for purposes of marketing by our sponsors and advertisers; and
- To keep aggregate information on website use.
SHFI may receive Personal Information from its business partners and other third parties, provided that such third parties confirm to us that they have obtained your consent to the disclosure of your Personal Information. SHFI will not use this information except for the purposes that you have consented to with SHFI’s business partners or other third parties who collected the information. SHFI can rely on the representations of its business partners and other third parties that the proper consents were obtained when the Personal Information was collected.
How Your Personal Information Will Be Used By SHFI
SHFI will only use Personal Information for the purposes stated at the time of collection and pursuant to the Privacy Act, or as otherwise set out in this section:
- Providing you with the services and information you have requested from us, including your use of the SHFI Site. SHFI may from time to time use your Personal Information to contact you about changes, enhancements or similar notices related to the SHFI Site;
- If you indicated that you were interested in receiving offers or information from SHFI or certain of our selected sponsors or advertisers, SHFI may send you email materials and other mailings about products and services that SHFI feels may be of interest to you. If at any time you would like to end your subscription to any such email materials, follow the directions for unsubscribing posted at the bottom of the email material;
- If you enter a contest or other promotion offered on an SHFI Site, SHFI may, under the rules of the promotion, use your name and certain other information to administer the promotion, such as contacting, announcing and promoting the winners of the promotion;
- SHFI may also use Personal Information if it has reasonable grounds to believe the information could be useful when investigating a contravention of a federal, provincial or foreign law or in order to protect or defend a legal interest; and
- SHFI may ask for your permiSHFIon to use your Personal Information for other purposes, for example, to send you an email newsletter or for other marketing purposes. SHFI will only use this information for these purposes if you have provided us with consent either on a ballot that was previously filled out or by “opting-in” to such offers on any SHFI online forms. If we attempt to contact you and you do not respond, by default, SHFI will assume that your consent has been retracted and shall delete your Personal Information from SHFI’s system.
With Whom Your Personal Information May Be Shared
Your Personal Information will not be sold or rented to anyone.
SHFI will only disclose your Personal Information to third parties:
- Where you have specifically given us your consent to disclose your Personal Information for a designated purpose;
- Who are acting on our behalf as our agents, suppliers or service providers, solely to enable us to more efficiently provide you with the requested services. SHFI will only provide Personal Information as is necessary in the circumstances will be provided. Such entities act under strict contractual controls, requiring them to maintain the confidentiality of all such Personal Information and to use such Personal Information solely for purposes related to the provision of the services;
- As may be set out in the Terms and Conditions applicable to the SHFI Site, to facilitate the provision of such service, such as fulfilling legal requirements;
- As required by law, including by an order of any court, institution or body with jurisdiction or authority to compel the production of information, or in order to protect or defend a legal interest; or
How Non-Personal Information Will Be Used By SHFI
Non-Personal Information is used generally by SHFI to monitor and improve the operation of the SHFI Site, to perform statistical analyses of the collective characteristics and behavior of our users, to measure user demographics and interests regarding specific SHFI Services, to describe our services to third parties such as prospective business partners and advertisers and to analyze how and where best to use our resources. No Personal Information will be disclosed during these activities.
SHFI also may share this information with our affiliates, suppliers, sponsors and advertisers. SHFI may use Non-Personal Information to inform our sponsors and advertisers as to the performance of a particular sponsorship (such as a contest) or advertisement. In such case SHFI may disclose to those third-party sponsors and advertisers the overall aggregate demographics available regarding, for example who participated in a contest or who saw and “clicked” on an advertisement. No Personal Information will be disclosed to these sponsors and advertisers as part of this process; only information in an anonymous, aggregate form will be disclosed.
What Cookies Are and How They Are Used
Please note certain features on our sites may not function if you do not accept Cookies.
An IP Address is the unique number which is aSHFIgned to every direct Internet access point. IP Addresses do not contain any Personal Information. When you, through your browser, request a web page or similar Internet information from another computer on the Internet, your browser automatically provides that computer with an IP address to which it will send the requested information.
Whenever you request an SHFI web page or certain other similar SHFI content, your browser automatically provides our computers with your IP Address, to which our computers will send the requested information. Each such request is logged by our computers with information including the IP Address of the computer that requested the page and is stored by our computers as needed for the purposes described in this policy.
SHFI may use your IP Address to display more appropriate and relevant content and advertising, such as content and advertising based on your geographic area. Aggregate information derived from IP Addresses may be reported by SHFI to its advertisers and partners. For example, SHFI may report to its advertisers the estimated total number of users acceSHFIng a particular SHFI Site from a specific province.
SHFI may use your IP Address to facilitate the diagnoses and remedy of a technical problem reported by you or our technical team.
Certain SHFI Services may contain electronic images known as Web Beacons - sometimes called single-pixel gifs - that allow SHFI to count users who have visited those pages and to deliver co-branded services. Web Beacons are not used to access your Personal Information. They are a technique used to compile aggregated statistics about SHFI Site usage. Web Beacons collect only a limited set of information including a Cookie number, time and date of a page view, and a description of the page on which the Web beacon resides. Certain SHFI Site may also contain Web Beacons placed there by our advertising partners to help SHFI determine the effectiveness of our Internet advertising campaigns.
How You Can Update, Access or Delete your Personal Information
At any time, you may remove your Personal Information from our database by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your username and “remove me” in the subject line.
Links to Other Sites and Advertisement
An SHFI Site may contain links to other websites and services. While SHFI tries to link only to sites and services that share our high standards and respect for privacy, please understand that SHFI is not responsible for the content of, or the privacy practices employed by, other companies or websites. This policy applies only to the SHFI Site referencing this policy.
SHFI will try to ensure that information about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, please inform SHFI to whom you provided your information of any change of name, address or other information. In the event you have questions about the accuracy of factual information SHFI has collected about you, you will have access to that information in order to verify and update it. If SHFI has disclosed inaccurate information about you to a third party, SHFI will be pleased to contact the third party in order to correct the information.
Questions, Concerns or Suggestions?